Monday, March 31, 2008

How's the Kool-Aid?

by Melissa Harris-Lacewell, Princeton University

As much as I hate to admit it, you are right. At least partially.

I openly confess that, after Tuesday’s speech, I was momentarily swept up in Obama-rama. As I said to you publicly, I assumed that Obama would follow traditional political crisis-relief strategy by repudiating Jeremiah Wright, accepting no direct responsibility (but expressing regret that others were offended), and insisting that we move on to more important matters.

At the start of the speech, Obama seemed to be following that script by making unsettling remarks about “stalwart allies like Israel,” “the perverse and hateful ideologies of radical Islam,” and the need for patriarchal family structures. But once he got his perfunctory centrist kowtowing out of the way, Obama delivered one of the most complex, sophisticated, and powerful speeches in recent political history.

Instead of merely assuaging white racial anxieties, Obama’s words forced the entire nation to come to terms with its demons. Although he unequivocally denounced Jeremiah Wright’s remarks, Obama refused to reduce him (or his own white grandmother) to a racist caricature. Also, through his evenhanded analysis of both structural inequality and individual responsibility, Obama raised the stakes for racial discourse in American politics.

So yes, I was definitely cheering for Obama on Tuesday. To be honest, I secretly root for him every time he wins a state or scores a political victory over Clinton or McCain. Still, despite my sentimental attachment to the brother, I have not drunk the Kool-Aid.
by Dr. Melissa Harris-Lacewell- Princeton University

To drink the Kool-Aid is to believe that Obama gave that speech out of moral exigency rather than political desperation. After all, Obama had painted himself into a corner by running a “race neutral” campaign that implicitly promised not to make whites uncomfortable about things like white skin privilege or systemic racism. Once Wright’s comments became public, Obama was forced to defend his own position. Although his response was far more principled and sincere than I could have imagined, I doubt that he would have made it if it weren’t his best political option. More significantly, I do not believe that he would compromise his own personal ambition in order to realize the grand racial vision that he articulated on Tuesday. So, while I give him mad props for his courageous address, I’m still not a supporter.

That said, I still haven’t decided how I’m going to vote in next month’s Pennsylvania primary. My gut tells me to sit the election out and vote for Nader in November. But as we’ve learned from this controversy, anything can happen in a month.

4 comments:

qdog112 said...

From your post I see kool-aid is not your problem. It's definitely something else. I resent the implication that those of us who support Barack are somehow unable to select a candidate who best represents our needs without being likened to fanatics with blind allegiance. Barack is no different from any other successful politician who builds a coalition to get elected. He has avoided becoming the "black candidate" for reasons that should be obvious to one as bright as yourself. Name one "special interest" president. Barack knows he must not be seen as appealing to just one group. Funny, but I don't recall kool-aid being on the menu when blacks voted for Clinton for winking at us. Some idiots even dubbed him the first "black president" and were taken totally for granted. If you don't like Barack's politics then vote Hillary or McCain. But don't trash Obama supporters because we see great potential. Step aside as we move forward.

James Sartin said...

Please think again?

mosebell said...

I really don't think kool-aid is your drink of choice; I suspect it is red soda water, the drink of coloreds who have alleged access but no foresight. You and Tavis should have a ball on a picnic with your sodi-pop, chicken, and your hater scripts.

Tell me; what is the origin of your credibility? Whose shoulders do you stand on, Martin's, Malcolm's, Fannie Hamer, John Lewis', Shirley Chisholm's?

I am going to share your meagerly scripted effort with several of my friends who have, I'm sure, the same sway you have in the "community".

I am clearly amazed that you could discern that Obama's speech was made to satisfy political expediency and not because of personal candor and intelligent insight. How did you know that?

Our Specialties said...

Wow. Everytime I feel like all the African American degraders have stopped popping up I find another one that has found a way to slip a seemingly intellectual foot in his or her mouth. Seemingly intellectual because although well versed, what is being said often times is unfounded...

Seriously, I agree with prior posters when they point out that African Americans that support Obama are not somehow intranced or incapable of making educated and informed decisions. Like by supporting who we feel is the best candidate for the presidency of the United States ( that happens to be African American) we must be hypnotized...

To the contrary. Dare I say that those African American voters and( or as you expressed you might do)non voters are actually the ones that have "drank the kool aid" that the white majority has been feeding us for years? Maybe its time you switch flavors.

OBAMA 08